A Reminder This Morning... The South Carolina Statewide Tornado Drill Be
Conducted Today. The Drill Will Be Initiated Around 9 Am By A Tornado Warning Issued by the National Weather Service. The Alert Will Be Relayed Via Normal Communication Channels Including TV and NOAA Weather Radio.
It is just a test... no severe weather is expected.
It is however a good opportunity to practice your tornado plan of action.
Here is some very helpful information to remember about tornadoes......
Tornado WATCHES and WARNINGS are issued by the National Weather Service. Know what a tornado WATCH and WARNING means:
- A tornado WATCH means a tornado is possible in your area.
- A tornado WARNING means a tornado has been sighted and may be headed for your area. Go to safety immediately.
When a Tornado WATCH is Issued
- Monitor NOAA Weather Radio, commercial radio or television for the latest weather forecasts, or download the Ready Georgia mobile app.
- Be alert to changing weather conditions. Blowing debris or the sound of an approaching tornado may alert you. Many people say it sounds like a freight train.
When a Tornado WARNING is Issued
- If you are inside, go to the safe place and protect yourself from glass and other flying objects. The tornado may be approaching your area.
- If you are outside, hurry to the basement of a nearby sturdy building or lie flat in a ditch or low-lying area and use your arms to protect your head.
- If you are in a car or mobile home, get out immediately and head for safety.
After the Tornado Passes
- Watch out for fallen power lines and stay out of the damaged area.
- Listen to the radio for information and instructions.
- Use a flashlight to inspect your home for damage.
- Do not use candles at any time.