Severe T-Storm Watch in Effect until 9 PM - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Severe T-Storm Watch in Effect until 9 PM

Updated:
Chief Meteorologist David Sawyer Chief Meteorologist David Sawyer
GREENVILLE, N.C. - A Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been issued for the following counties in the WNCT-TV 9 viewing area until 9 PM:  Carteret, Craven, and Onslow.  A Severe T-Storm Watch means that storms may produce damaging winds greater than 58 mph or produce large hail greater than quarter-size.

THIS EVENING: Thunderstorms will form ahead of a cold front late this afternoon and evening, mainly south of U.S. Highway 70.  A FIRST ALERT WEATHER DAY continues for heat and also a threat for severe weather.  As this strong frontal boundary pushes through the region, the chance for strong to severe thunderstorms will increase out ahead of it, mainly in the southern half of the WNCT-TV 9 viewing area. Late afternoon temperatures in the upper 80s to lower 90s will have heat indices around 100. Storms that fire up with have the potential to have damaging wind gusts and large hail. 

TONIGHT: Once the front clears the coast later tonight, storms will also end. Cooler and drier air behind the front combined with clear skies will allow for temperatures to drop to the upper 60s inland and lower 70s along the coast. Winds will become westerly around 10 mph and turn northerly late.

TUESDAY: Cooler and drier Canadian air spills southward taking allowing our temperatures to feel more comfortable with lower humidity.  Tuesday afternoon will have highs in the lower to middle 80s with northerly breezes around 10 mph.  Enjoy this break to the summertime heat!

TROPICS: A tropical wave in the eastern Atlantic Ocean has a medium chance for development over the next few days. It has a 30 percent chance of development within the next 48 hours and a 70 percent chance within the next 5 days. We are keeping a close eye on this system as the dry air begins to moisten and the environment becomes a little more favorable for development the next few days.

For more weather details, check out WNCT 9 First Alert Weather's Extended Forecast by CLICKING HERE.

THANK YOU FOR TRUSTING WNCT 9 FIRST ALERT WEATHER!
Whatever the forecast, meteorologists, David Sawyer, Dontae Jones and Patrick Ellis will keep you updated.

For more weather information, check out these links:
- Follow WNCT 9 First Alert Weather on Twitter by CLICKING HERE.

- Connect with WNCT 9 First Alert Weather and join a growing network of friends with WNCT 9 First Alert Weather on Facebook by CLICKING HERE.
- Download our WNCT 9 First Alert Weather app, available for free in the Apple App Store and the Google Play store. You can see First Alert VIPIR 9, forecasts in written, video and graphical forms and the app also will alert you to any severe weather alerts that may be in your area.
SHARE YOUR PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD PHOTO/VIDEO TO
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.